Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Mid-Ohio Shakedown

What a weekend. Decided to make the last minute trek to MidOhio with BMWCCA for a club race to shake the car down. Spent a good amount of time a few days prior making sure the car was ready. Fresh interior paint, but didnt have time to do the exterior scheme but all in all the car looked great!

Ran the first practice session and immediately noticed an alternator failure. This is what shakedowns are for right? I ended up borrowing a battery charger from a fellow racer, Julie Wolf, THANKS! That was enough to charge the battery and hopefully maintain the charge for a 30 minute race. For those who do not know the BMWCCA rules, my car was automatically lumped into C-Modified thanks to some modifications that were on the car when I bought it. Namely, the carbon fiber roof and trunk. The car was really a H-Prepared car meaning the other guys had LOADS more horsepower and WAY less weight. I managed to finish w/ a respectable midpack order.

The most fun I had came in the "fun race" when I got to chase aforementioned Julie Wolf in an I-Prepared E36 M3. Unfortunately just as I was about to be able to do battle, my battery konked out. The lights started flickering and my dash reported 11.7Volts.

For the Enduro, I had Mike Skeen co-drive. He was about 1.5 seconds faster than I was and it was his first time in the car. Mike coaches a lot of people and I highly recommend his services (mikeskeen.com). We were on pace to have a 4th overall finish when more shakedown blues occured. The fuel pump and/or fuel pump relay died. This ended my race and I parked it for what seemed to be an eternity on the side of the track.

Goal for the weekend was to shake it down and look for minor issues before the car's real debut at NASA Hyperfest @ Summit Point. Fixing these problems and hoping for a troublefree NASA weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment